Grassroots Mobilization Coordinator
Expected Start: Early 2017
First set of interviews will be taken from applications received by November 28, 2016
NETWORK, the national Catholic social justice lobby behind “Nuns on the Bus,” is seeking a Grassroots Mobilization Coordinator to use the messaging and resources of NETWORK to educate and organize our network of activists. S/he works to ensure our Spirit-filled network is growing, connected, and nourished, while building clout in key districts and states. S/he informs interested allies on NETWORK’s top policy issues and trains individuals to optimize advocacy strategies. The Coordinator is a highly-organized, nimble, attentive, and responsive organizer who is committed to the principles of Catholic Social Justice and values the grassroots’ role in creating social change. S/he is the hub of inspiration and creativity in the development of resources and strategies that foster awareness of our issues, strengthen advocacy skills, and motivate people to become involved in social change and the political process.
A Catholic leader in the movement for justice and peace, NETWORK educates, organizes and lobbies for economic and social transformation. Founded in 1971 by Catholic sisters in the progressive spirit of Vatican II, NETWORK works to create a society that promotes justice and the dignity of all in the shared abundance of God’s creation. Inspired by our founders and the leadership of the women who followed, we faithfully embody Gospel justice as we ignite hope in the world. We are rooted in the Catholic social justice tradition and open to all who share our passion. Our staff is made up of people from a variety of faith perspectives.
- Work with key constituencies to expand and strengthen our network of advocates: develop new leaders, deepen skills of existing leaders.
- Work closely with Grassroots Organizer to further develop and strengthen NETWORK’s national organizing model and build a field strategy that complements and enhances our Hill strategy.
- Mobilize individual grasstops activists, as well as city- and state-based teams of justice-seekers, to participate in ongoing advocacy.
- Rapidly respond to the needs of the advocacy network, provide high-level quality of constituent relations/customer service, and manage with grace an excess of activist communication.
- Motivate and coordinate – and provide the training for – local activists’ participation in NETWORK policy campaigns, including in-district lobby visits and op-eds/LTEs.
- Conduct trainings and facilitate local gatherings in-person and over the phone/web; identify needs for additional trainings and advocacy tools.
- Build partnerships with D.C.-based allies, coalitions, and national organizations.
- Represent NETWORK at events, conferences, and in the media. Facilitate education events in the field and in D.C. Oversee the organization’s participation in conferences.
- Manage a team budget, collaborate in the development of NETWORK’s policy agenda, supervise/mentor staff or interns, and participate in organizational activities (planning, evaluation, development).
- 3-5 years of progressive professional experience in political campaigns, community organizing, program development, advocacy, or public policy; relevant internships and volunteer experiences will be counted as qualification.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred but not required.
- Experience in a detail-oriented position that required a high-level of organizational skills; ability to meet deadlines and manage multiple projects.
- Patience and temperament to develop activists to achieve their leadership breakthroughs in their own way and their own time, with their own communication style
- Strong management, coaching, training, conflict management and group-facilitation experience
- An excellent listener as well as oral and written communicator
- Familiarity with Catholic Social Justice, faith-based organizations, working with disadvantaged populations, anti-oppression work, and women’s leadership development, a plus.
- Fluency in Spanish and databases (e.g. Salsa, Salesforce) preferred
- Demonstrated skills in adaptability, relationship building, constituent relations/customer service, detail-oriented, initiative, motivating others, perseverance, leadership, strategy, and collaboration.
- Willing to travel 12 times per calendar year.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a permanent, full-time position in our Washington, D.C. office. Starting pay $48,000 per year with generous benefit and leave package.
How to Apply
Send a résumé and cover letter – as attachments – outlining your qualifications to
email@example.com . Please include “Grassroots Mobilization Coordinator” in the subject line and let us know in your email where you saw our announcement. You are welcome to include examples of – or links to – relevant past work.
First set of interviews will be taken from applications received by November 28, 2016, and applications will be considered until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.