For Immediate Release: January 22, 2021
Contact: Lee Morrow, email@example.com, 202-601-7871
Multi-Issue Catholics Applaud Biden’s Promises Kept
Sr. Simone: “The first week of the Biden administration is a paradigm shift toward a just future that multi-issue Catholics have always advocated for.”
WASHINGTON, D.C. – In the first week of President Joe Biden’s term, the promises made to faithful voters who value the dignity of life have been kept. Through executive orders, President Biden has:
- Directed full federal attention to combatting the COVID-19 pandemic and providing vaccines for all.
- Expanded food assistance to address the skyrocketing increase in hunger.
- Extended the moratorium on evictions during this economic and health crisis.
- Restored worker rights and protections to federal employees and laid the foundation for a $15 minimum federal wage.
- Protected Dreamers, halted deportations, and ended construction of the immoral border wall.
- Banned workplace discrimination against LGBTQ+ employees.
- Ended the racist Muslim Ban and directed all federal agencies to address racial inequities.
- Rejoined the Paris Climate Agreement and the World Health Organization.
Sister Simone Campbell, SSS, Executive Director of NETWORK Lobby for Catholic Social Justice said:
“It is abundantly clear that our election slogan ‘Who We Elect Matters’ is absolutely true! The actions taken by the Biden administration are what multi-issue Catholic voters demanded during the campaign. President Biden has kept his promises. These Week 1 executive orders reflect the Catholic Social Justice teachings that every human life is sacred, all workers deserve dignity, and that care for the planet is our shared responsibility.
“The first week of the Biden administration is a paradigm shift away from the hyper-individualism of the prior administration and toward a just future that multi-issue Catholics have always advocated for. There is much work to be done, but this strong start shows us that a bright future is in sight.”
NETWORK Lobby for Catholic Social Justice – advocates for justice inspired by Catholic Sisters – educates, organizes, and lobbies for economic and social transformation. They have a nearly 50-year track record of lobbying for critical federal programs that support those at the margins and prioritize the common good. www.networklobby.org